Today, Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya is on a working visit to Tallinn, where Belarusian leader held a meeting with President Kersti Kaljulaid. Outcomes of the meeting:
– Discussed the 4th and 5th sanctions packages, the new EU economic assistance plan for Belarus and how Estonia can help the Belarusian people during the transitional period.
– Estonia will make Belarus a priority in the United Nations Security Council, where it will assume the presidency from 1 June.
– Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya called for an urgent assistance to journalists, civil society and all those persecuted for political reasons.
– President Kersti Kaljulaid has assured that there will be no presentation of Lukashenka’s credentials.
– Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya offered to check the regime «wallets» for the presence of real estate or business in Estonia and to suspend contracts of Estonian companies with enterprises connected with Lukashenka, investments of state firms and banks.
Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya also held a meeting with Estonian Prime Minister Kaya Kallas. They discussed sanctions against the regime. Ms.Tsikhanouskaya noted that sanctions must be quick and effective – then they will be short-term.
Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya also met with Speaker of Parliament Juri Ratas, former Foreign Minister and head of the Foreign Affairs Committee Marco Mikkelsen. They discussed the opening of cases against the facilitators of the universal jurisdiction regime, the convening of a United Nations Security Council meeting on Belarus, and the possibility of opening a case before the International Criminal Court in The Hague.
“Belarus now unites all EU countries and politicians regardless of their party affiliation. The solidarity and determination that we see after the hijacking gives a strong belief that the Belarusians will already this year be able to hold new and fair elections, and all criminals will be brought to a fair trial” – Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya.